The new school year is upon you, and as a student, juggling your acting career can be a real challenge! From classes to auditions to the added pressure of the homework and studying that must be built around them, it's easy to become overwhelmed and want to abandon ship. If you have been relaxing all summer, these ideas will help you ease through the transition of lazy days to working hard. If you've been working hard, these tips will help you find some needed time for yourself before the dynamic switches again. So before classes get in to full gear, I want to give you students some acting tips that will help you avoid burnout and set you up to succeed.
- More Art. What *else* do you like to do? Yes, you like to act, we know that. But what other forms of self expression feel enlivening to you? Do you paint? Play an instrument? Sing? Sculpt? Get out of your norm and get into another form of self expression. This way, you are can continue to create while also giving your day to day a break.
- Get Inspired. If you're in the mood for a movie night, think of the inspirational classics. Think of the actors that got you interested in the first place and grab a few of their best films. Or, if you want to get in touch emotionally, get a few different movies like a romance, comedy, thriller and a drama - to refresh your senses to the different emotions involved.
- Be Still. Discover what grounds you and embrace it. Be it prayer, meditation, yoga, silence, soft music... Allow the craziness to be set aside and just enjoy the peace of the moment.
- Get Moving. Go for a run. Take a spinning class. Go dancing even... Do some body movement that's new for you and see how you feel!
- Enjoy. Whatever that means to you. Getting a massage or just a nap in the park. Depending on the weather, your budget and preferences, you can get really creative here! Figure out what's relaxing to you and stop making excuse - do it... you are more than worth it!
A stressed mind is unable to receive and fully succeed. Buy putting some proper investment into self care, you create a mental and physical environment that will allow you to absorb new ideas and practices while also excelling at them.
Acting can be an incredible career but also takes a lot out of you. Here at the New York Acting School for Film and Television, we want to do whatever we can to support you. Stop on by and let us know how we can help!